Baby, it’s cold outside! And what better way to warm up than with a delicious and healthy cup of organic cacao? That’s right, forget about those boring hot chocolate packets filled with sugar and artificial flavours, and indulge in the real deal. Not only is organic cacao a treat for your taste buds, but it also has a myriad of health benefits that will make you feel good from the inside out.
So, what exactly is organic cacao? It’s the raw and unprocessed form of chocolate, which means it’s packed with all the good stuff that gets lost during the production of chocolate bars. Think of it as the superfood of the chocolate world. And the best part? It’s incredibly versatile and can be enjoyed in many different ways, from a hot drink to a healthy snack.
First and foremost, organic cacao is an excellent source of antioxidants. In fact, it contains more antioxidants than most fruits and vegetables. These powerful compounds help to protect your cells from damage caused by free radicals, which can contribute to the development of chronic diseases like cancer and heart disease. So, by sipping on a cup of organic cacao, you’re satisfying your sweet tooth and doing your body a favour.
But that’s not all. Organic cacao is also a great source of magnesium, a mineral that is essential for healthy brain function and a balanced mood. In fact, studies have shown that magnesium can help to reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression, making it the perfect drink for those chilly days when you’re feeling a little blue. And let’s be honest, who isn’t in need of a mood boost during the winter months?
Organic cacao is also rich in flavonoids, a type of compound that has been linked to improved cardiovascular health. Flavonoids help reduce inflammation in the body, lowering the risk of heart disease and stroke. So, by sipping on a cup of organic cacao, you’re satisfying your sweet tooth and taking care of your heart.
And if you’re looking for a guilt-free treat, organic cacao is the way to go. Unlike traditional hot chocolate, which is often loaded with sugar and artificial ingredients, organic cacao is naturally sweet and contains no added sugar. Plus, it’s low in calories and high in fibre, making it the perfect snack to satisfy those midday cravings.
So, how can you enjoy organic cacao? There are endless possibilities! You can make a traditional hot drink by mixing organic cacao powder with your favourite plant-based milk and a touch of honey or maple syrup and vanilla and cinnamon to taste. You can also add organic cacao nibs to your morning oatmeal or smoothie bowl for a delicious and nutritious twist. And if you’re feeling extra fancy, you can even make your own homemade chocolate using organic cacao butter and powder.
In conclusion, organic cacao is the perfect treat for chilly days. It’s delicious, versatile, and packed with health benefits that will make you feel good from the inside out. So, the next time you’re craving something sweet and comforting, skip the artificial stuff and opt for organic cacao instead. Your taste buds and your body will thank you.
- Antioxidant properties of cacao:
- Keen, C. L., Holt, R. R., Oteiza, P. I., Fraga, C. G., & Schmitz, H. H. (2005). Cocoa antioxidants and cardiovascular health. The American Journal of clinical nutrition, 81(1), 298S-303S. doi: 10.1093/ajcn/81.1.298S
- Magnesium content in cacao and its effects on mood:
- Serefko, A., Szopa, A., & Poleszak, E. (2016). Magnesium and depression. Magnesium Research, 29(3), 112-119. doi: 10.1684/mrh.2016.0404
- Flavonoids in cacao and their effects on cardiovascular health:
- Shrime, M. G., Bauer, S. R., McDonald, A. C., Chowdhury, N. H., Coltart, C. E., & Ding, E. L. (2011). Flavonoid-rich cocoa consumption affects multiple cardiovascular risk factors in a meta-analysis of short-term studies. Journal of Nutrition, 141(11), 1982-1988. doi: 10.3945/jn.111.145482
- Nutrient content and fiber in cacao:
- USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 28. Cocoa, dry powder, unsweetened. Retrieved from https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/170274/nutrients